Friday, June 6, 2008
Kentucky
Let me first start by saying that I LOVE KENTUCKY! It is so beautiful there! It is amazingly green everywhere you go and there are these amazing rock walls along the freeways. I guess the only thing I would change there is to bring our mountains there. Jason and I went to Crestwood, Kentucky about mid May for ten days. Jason's parents were also there because his dad grew up in Kentucky and was visiting his parents. Oh my goodness, Jason's grandparents are so adorable. I could sit and listen to their conversations all day long with there cute southern accents. They share such a wonderful relationship with each other and live each day to the fullest. I love listening to their stories and walking around on the farm. I'd try to imagine what it was like when things were still up and running. His grandparents own over 300 acres of farmland and it's amazing. Well, we got there on a Friday and the next day we went to the Louisville Temple. All of Grandpa and Grandma's kids were there plus most of their spouses. Jason and I were the only grandkids. It was a surprise for Grandpa and Grandma to have all of their children in the Temple with them, it was really special. Afterward, we all went to Mimi's Cafe for lunch/dinner and it was really good. Then Sunday we went to church and just hung around the farm all day talking story with one another. Monday, Jason and I went to Churchill Downs where the Kentucky Derby took place just a week before we got there. It was pretty cool, but I don't think I could ever get into horse racing. We also visited the Louisville Slugger baseball bat factory, which was pretty cool as well. Then we drove over into Indiana (so that we can say we have been there) and drove back. Tuesday, Jason and I and his parents drove down to southern Kentucky to the Cumberland Gap (where Daniel Boone came through). We were able to visit Tennessee and Virginia on this drive cause the point where all three states meet is in the Cumberland Gap. We spent the night in a hotel then Wednesday, we went to Cumberland Falls, however, the park was closed cause on Sunday a tornado had touched down in the park and tore down a lot of trees. So we decided to go over to the other side where there was another water fall called Eagle Falls. It was so pretty! We had to hike about a mile and a half in the rain to get to it but it was so worth it. Jason and I had fun climbing on the rocks to get underneath the waterfall. Then on the way back up to Crestwood, we stopped at a few other historical sites, which were cool to see. Oh, I have to mention that when we were hiking around Cumberland Gap and Eagle Falls, I was so infatuated with all of the different kind of leaves and flowers, so I started this little leaf collection with Jason's mom. It was actually pretty fun and we found some pretty cool leaves. We both bought a notebook to dry all of our leaves and flowers. Jason and his dad had patience with us when we would stop at every tree, but I know they thought we were nuts! The rest of the week we just kinda hung out and had fun. We played this game "Skittle" where you turn a top and it has to go through "doors" to knock down pins that were worth different amounts of points. I don't know if that makes sense but it was really fun. We also played lawn darts, which is really fun. I won every time I played Jason! We also went on a frog leg hunt..... Jason really wanted to try frog legs while we were there so we used our GPS thing to find this restaurant that sold frog legs. Well, three different locations came up on the GPS so we decided that we would try the closest one. Ya, no luck, it wasn't there. So we tried the second closest only to find the same problem.... it wasn't there. So we finally went to the location that was originally the furthest away (only by a couple of miles, mind you) and we found it! So moral of the story, we should've just gone to the furthest away location cause by the time we drove to all the other locations we could've been there and back! But the drive was nice and just being with one another is time well spent :) Friday we went up to Cincinnati to the Gap outlet and got some killer deals. I got 3 pairs of pants, 2 shirts, 5 undershirts (tank tops) and a belt for $45! Awesome deals! We were set to leave back for Utah on Sunday afternoon, but the flights filled up and there wasn't a very good chance for us to get on the plane. So we decided that we would try for the 9:00 pm flight cause there were several seats still open and not very many standbys listed. Right before we left Crestwood, we checked the flight again and there were more standbys listed from the earlier flights. Jason and I were number 12 and 13 on the list out of 25'ish. Things weren't looking to good but then they started clearing people.... and wouldn't you know they cleared only 11 people!!! They stopped right in front of us!! So we spent the night in Cincinnati to try for the 6:15 am flight. The good news is Delta actually paid for our hotel, which was totally unexpected cause they usually don't do that for non-rev's. It was a really nice hotel and well worth it cause we made the morning flight with flying colors! Oh the joys of flying standby! At least it's free right! All in all we both enjoyed our visit and didn't want to leave. Which means we will just have to go back and visit again sometime soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
How fun! I feel like you two are always doing fun stuff...I guess flight benefits help a little huh? Ü I love all the pictures it is really pretty! I will totally miss all the green when we move back to the west.
I am so jealous! I'm glad you had fun...Kentucky is so beautiful, and Grandma and Grandpa and so fun.
Yea...you posted your pictures from your trip. I wish we could have come. I love Kentucky....and I'm totally jealous of your trip to the Gap Outlet:)!! Glad you guys had a good time.
Post a Comment