Thursday, June 3, 2010
You want me to what?
So, about a week ago I had my glucose test... you know, the one with the nasty orange drink. It's actually not THAT bad, but it is super sweet and the fact you have to guzzle it down does not help. Well, the next day my nurse calls and says my glucose was elevated and I have to go back for the three hour test. YES, THREE HOURS! Sitting in the doctors office for three hours not being able to leave or eat anything but the lovely orange drink (and water, thank goodness) was not what I had in mind for my day off but it wasn't too bad considering. I brought our iTouch and watched a movie and played some games and then four pokes later I was home free! Only thing is, I get a call the next day saying two of my tests were elevated...... YUP, I have it. I have gestational diabetes. What the crap am I supposed to eat? I started to breakdown cause I knew my eating habits were going to have to change and it was gonna be a big change. I asked my sister about it cause she had it too and she started to tell me what it involves with counting carbs and only being able to have so many in a day and per meal. So naturally I start looking at labels and start to cry cause it seems like I'm just gonna have to starve. THERE ARE SO MANY CARBS IN EVERYTHING! I couldn't believe it. Well, I set up an appointment with a dietitian this last Tuesday and found out everything I need to know. Yes, I have to poke myself to test my blood everyday..... oh wait, not just everyday, FOUR times a day, everyday! Did I mention I really don't like needles?? But in all reality I thought it was going to be a lot worse than it actually is. They have made so many improvements that you can barely even feel the poke. It's really just the thought of it that gives me the hee-bee-gee-bees! Plus I can only eat 30 to 45 grams of carbs per meal (which is NOT very much) but veggies and meat are freebies. So after the class, I felt a little better about things and started thinking that this will actually be kinda good, the whole diet and exercise thing, cause then maybe I won't gain a ton more weight and it'll be easier to shed the weight after having my little ladybug. Plus, having more of an idea how much crap there really is out there to eat maybe after I have her I won't over do it.... but who am I kidding, I love chocolate, ice cream and bread among other things that have a lot of carbs. OH, and I'm slightly anemic so I have to take extra iron everyday, which isn't that big of a deal it's just one more thing I have to keep track of. But I'll do anything to keep my little girl healthy and strong as well as for my own good. So all in all things are still going good! Just wish I didn't have to poke myself four times a day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That sucks! I got lucky and didn't get that. I would also hate poking myself!! It's crazy how we try so hard to get pregnant and have kids when it changes your life 100%! But now that I have Kimberly I love that my life has changed for the better. When you see your little girl here and healthy the pokes wont me a thing to you! :)
It will all be worth it in the end. Hang in there! I'm sorry you have to poke yourself though..that doesn't sound like too much fun!
Post a Comment