Thursday, January 29, 2009

Kauai Adventures

**As most of you know we like to go to Hawaii quite frequently. We have made a tradition of going to Hawaii every January (with the exception of going last September as well). I seriously hope we will keep up this tradition. It will never get old I can promise you that! This year we decided to try a different island and go to Kauai! I was super excited cause it seems so lush and green and I could just picture it all in my head. Well let me tell you it was a little different than we imagined but not necessarily in a bad way. We had lots of adventures and things happened that I never thought would.....

**Jason and I invited my parents to tag along cause we haven't been on a trip with them yet. So the first little adventure was the way over there. I mean I can't complain, Jason and I got over there so smoothly and even got first class from L.A. to Kauai. But I felt horrible cause my parents weren't as high up on the seniority list as I thought they were, which means they got stuck in L.A. and had to spend the night. Everything looked fine until I figured out that they have such a low priority on mainline Delta flights, which happened to be ten minutes before they started boarding. I felt so horrible! Especially cause I was the one that told them to come early with us and fly on Delta instead of Continental (which is who my mom works for).

**Eventually we all got there and started our great adventures. Did you ever think that you could not like a bird so much that you literally wanted to kill every one you saw??? Who would think that roosters, yes roosters and chickens are ALL OVER THE ISLAND! And they aren't very smart cause the crow ALL HOURS OF THE DAY! A book I read said that they must want to save their butts and crow all the time so no one can hold them liable for not waking them up. Fun stuff, I tell you what. The first two nights weren't so bad cause we were on the third floor of the hotel and you couldn't hear them that bad. But when we moved to the cottage we were staying at you could hear them plain as day at all hours of the day. They are actually really pretty and it was quite hilarious to hear them crow except when you were trying to sleep.

**I decided that my husband is part fish because he loves the water and loves to snorkel. Unfortunately the snorkeling on Kauai during the winter totally sucks. We only saw a few fish and they were all silver or black and white. We even bought a new expensive underwater camera and couldn't really use it like we wanted to. We didn't see the bright colors like what we always see on the Big Island. The tide was so high and the currents were so strong that most of the beaches were closed to snorkeling and swimming. You could surf, but who wants to do that when you want to see fish?? The other problem that we found is the beaches that weren't closed to snorkeling had man of war jellyfish controlling the area so I didn't want to touch that with a ten foot pole... NO. THANK. YOU! So that was our next adventure was trying to find beaches where we could soak up the rays and try to get our feet wet. Most of the beaches didn't have a very big shoreline since the tide was so high. Plus it was pretty overcast almost every day so it made things a little bit chilly to be playin' in the water. But that certainly didn't stop Jason. He would go splash around like a fish at every beach we stopped at. I love my little fishy!

**On Kauai there is a huge canyon that the call "The Grand Canyon of the Islands" and it pretty much lives up to it's name. We decided to take the drive up into this beautiful canyon and all the bumpy roads were definitely worth it. The thing about Kauai is there isn't a road that goes all around the island. So, we were staying in Princeville and you could only enter the canyon by car on the south/west side so it took about 1 hour and 45 min to get to the mouth of the canyon and then another hour to get up to the top of the canyon. It's a good thing that Jason and I like to drive but I felt bad for my parents in the back seat. I let my dad sit up front part of the time to save me the trouble of cleaning up throw up.... oh I mean, I let him sit up there cause I love my dad so much!!

**Most of the other time was spent visiting the farmer's markets to get all of our favorite exotic fruit like passion fruit, pineapple, mangoes and my absolute favorite, rumbutans; as well as search the beach for cool shells, deciding whether or not to get into the ocean when it was a little chilly out, trying to knock down coconuts with rocks or in this case a 15 foot pvc pipe (you never know what you can find on an island in the jungle), and hanging out by the pool, we just relaxed and had fun.

**Probably the most vivid memory of all of our trips combined is what I am about to tell you. In the cottage there is a fireplace and my cute husband decided to buy one of those logs that burn for three hours. What could be better, being on a beautiful island listening to those blasted roosters crow and sitting back to watch a movie with a fire going. Comfortable, cozy and nice come to mind. But now the words panic, hysteria, disbelief and laughter come to mind. So there we are having an awesome dinner at the table with the tv on and a fire in the fireplace. When the fire was first lit, it was a little smokey but we all just didn't think much of it and continued eating. Well it continued to get smokey so Jason and my dad go check, again, to make sure there was no flu to open. They couldn't find anything wrong and didn't know why our place was getting so smoke filled. So instead of breathing in all the smoke they decided that we would just put it out and then go down to the hot tub to get warm. So they got water and poured it on the fire (cause how else are you supposed to put out those logs that are soaked in some sort of fire burning fuel). Once the water was poured, masses of smoke and steam FILLED the room. (I have a picture of how smokey it was) For some reason my dad decided to look out on the balcony at the chimney and there were HUGE flames coming out of it!!!!(I have a video of that!) At this point Jason and my dad were in panic mode (I was just laughing and couldn't believe this was happening). I went out and saw the huge flames and was about to start packing all our things to get the heck out of there but decided the fire was only in the chimney and not on the roof or anything. One thing I forgot to tell you was it actually rained just enough to soak everything as we were preparing dinner (someone loves us up there for sure!!) Anyway, there was this tall tree next to the chimney and if it hadn't have been for the rain it would of caught fire for sure. In the meantime Jason is calling the fire department telling them the situation and also trying to get a hold of the front desk. One minute after Jason got of the phone you started hearing the sirens....how embarrassing! However, while Jason was on the phone with the front desk this huge ball of fire fell down into the fireplace and then all the smoke and fire stopped. I was thinking, those stupid roosters made a freaking nest in the chimney and this is why all of this happened. Well sure enough, after the firefighters get on the roof to check everything out they decided that it was indeed a nest and no damage has been done. Relief struck us all and we couldn't help but laugh about it all that night and the rest of our trip. We all WREAKED of campfire smoke along with all of our clothes. So we were thankful there was a washer and dryer in the condo. After all was said and done, the front desk didn't even bother to come over and see if we were ok or move us to a different condo since ours was so smokey, they just said come and talk to us in the morning. We thought that was a little unprofessional but Jason has such a way with words that we ended up getting our weeks stay for FREE!!!! We only had to pay the room tax which was about $50! You can't beat that! Since it all turned out ok we might "try" to make a fire in the fireplace where ever we go! HA! JUST KIDDING! While that night was certainly memorable and won't ever escape our minds, we don't want to go through that again. We are just so grateful that our dear Heavenly Father was looking out for us that night cause it certainly could have been MUCH worse! AHHH MEMORIES!!!

**So all in all our vacation was very fun filled and certainly memorable. We probably won't go back to that island unless the tide is low, the sun is out and we don't stay in a condo that has a fireplace.

2 comments:

Krista S said...

That is so crazy about the fire. What are the chances? I'm glad you guys were all ok. Like you said, you will have that memory forever. Sorry it wasn't everything you guys hoped for.

Amy said...

I'm with you about the weather and water, unless its warm I don't get in. I think if starting one fire gets you a free week stay in Hawaii and memories to last a lifetime its well worth it right, as long as everyone comes out of it safely. I'm glad you guys had a good trip.