Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Maui... Wowee!

So this time we decided to visit Maui and it was sooo beautiful. But I guess all the islands are like that! We planned this trip with our friends, Kevin and Jamie Pickett. We had such a good time on our cruise with them that we decided they are going to be one of our travel buddies! Anyway, I don't want to drag this post out since it is late but we had a blast!

We were lucky enough to visit Maui for 11 DAYS and stay in a condo with a mini-beach in back. There were GINORMOUS turtles in the water right off the beach. I promise they were bigger than one of those round sleds. Jason snorkeled with them quite a bit. I went out once and when they started to get to close to me I decided that I'd just let Jason enjoy them! I'm not sure how familiar ya'll are with the Island of Maui but there is the volcano, Haleakala, where people will go up there to watch the sun rise. The only catch is, you have to be there BEFORE the sun rises in order to see it. So we woke up at 2:30 AM!!! It actually wasn't that bad cause we were still on Utah time which was really 6:30 am for us. You would never think you'd need a full on coat while you're in Hawaii but you do if you want to go to this place. Of course we didn't pack coats so we layered on the clothes we could and brought a blanket from the condo.... ya, we still froze our cabooses off! It was sooooo cold. It was really pretty though. For some reason, almost every morning there are a bunch of clouds over the island and since we are up 10,000 feet we were well above them, which made the sunrise that much prettier!

One of the the other things we did is we drove to Hana. For those of you that don't know, the road to Hana is SUPER narrow and EXTREMELY winding with one lane bridges and all. The sad thing is, it is really only like 40 miles from where the Maui airport is but it takes you like 3 hours to get there because of how slow you have to go. It was really really pretty and we made our stops along the way which included swimming under a waterfall (a wimpy one), the black sand beach and the red sand beach. Most people just drive to Hana and then go back but we decided to drive all the way around. It was amazing to see the difference in scenery. It went from lush greenery with waterfalls to dry deserty look, much like Utah.

Another fun thing we did is we went on a snorkel cruise to Molokini crater. It is supposed to have the most clear water and an abundance of fish. But the waters were kind of choppy when we got there and I didn't get to see that many fish. The water was stil really clear but it wasn't as cool as we were hoping. I think we just didn't have good timing. It was still fun though!

We also had fun going to different beaches and eating shave ice (not necessarily on the beach). One of the beaches we went to was Big beach. It was sooooo pretty with the yellow sand and the green and blue waters..... one thing. The waves crash HARD!! I had never seen such a thing. I mean they weren't huge surfing waves by all means but when it came to the shoreline they would all of the sudden just break. We were out there on our floaty's with our sunglasses on havin' a grand 'ol time but then I was thinking maybe I should take my sunglasses off and put them in our bag. Well, Jamie was thinking he same thing so she started in and when she was about to get out she totally got beached and her sunglasses were washed off her face. Which only made me want to take mine off even more. SO, I start my way in and I thought I was gonna make it and the SMACK.... a wave totally pushed me over. Now, I am one of those people that HAVE to plug their nose when they go under water, so it really suprised me when my first instinct was to hold my sunglasses on my face and let the salty water go straight up the nose! But I was successful, I saved them! The amazing thing was, that we actually found Jamies sunglasses and got them back! Since the waves just crash on the beach, they didn't have a chance to get washed away so she got them back!

Well, this is entirely way to long, but moral of the story is, WE LOVE HAWAII and will continue to go there as much as we can!

1 comment:

Pickett said...

I love your post, I just posted mine tonight. you always so good at righting about everything. Ok so next time Jason needs to give Kevin a photography lessons, Jason takes the best pictures under water.
Hope to see you guys soon

~Jamie